· Impacts of Covid-19: Open Call for evidence and experiences - click here
Following a temporary suspension due to the public health situation, the Committee resumed meeting on 30 April 2020 with a session examining the effects of COVID-19 on the economy in Wales. On 11 May 2020 the Committee held a scrutiny session with the Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales. On 1 June the Committee discussed the effects of COVID-19 with the Skills sector, on 18 June evidence was taken from bus operators, trade unions and Cardiff airport, and on 2 July from Transport for Wales and representatives of the tourism and hospitality sectors. On the 16 July the Committee held a scrutiny session with the Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales.
A plenary debate on the Committee’s reports on the impact of COVID-19 on the Welsh economy, infrastructure and skills was held on Wednesday 1 July.
For the foreseeable future the Committee’s work will focus on the impact of Covid-19 on matters within the Committee’s remit.
As time progresses, the Committee will review its non Covid-19 related work, all of which has been paused for the time being. In addition, the Committee awaits further details of timescales for the Welsh Government’s legislative priorities.
The Committee has agreed a new work programme reshaped to examine the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects. However the effects of the pandemic are very fast moving and Members may wish to refocus the work programme again as the situation unfolds. Any further decisions on future Committee meetings and business will be provided via the Committee’s webpage and Twitter feed
· For information on recent and forthcoming Committee work, our Summer Bulletin (170KB) is now available (11/08/20)
· The Welsh Government has responded to the Committee’s Report on - The Impact of COVID-19: Skills – Early Findings (PDF 471KB) (28/07/2020
· The Welsh Government has responded to the Committee’s Report on - The Impact of COVID-19: Summary of initial findings (PDF 778KB) (17/07/2020)
· New report (PDF 2,757KB) – The Committee has published its report: Decarbonisation of transport (14/07/2020)
· New report (PDF 107KB) – The Committee has published its report: The Impact of COVID-19: Skills – early findings (19/06/2020)
· New report (PDF 206KB) – The Committee has published its report: The Impact of COVID-19: Summary of initial findings (04/06/2020)
Follow us on Twitter: @SeneddEIS
The Committee was established on 28 June 2016 to examine legislation and hold the Welsh Government to account by scrutinising expenditure, administration and policy matters, encompassing (but not restricted to): economic development; transport; infrastructure; employment; skills; and research and development, including technology and science.
Forward work programme
· Impacts of Covid-19: Open Call for evidence and experiences
· Valleys Taskforce
· Degree Apprenticeships
· Public procurement in the foundational economy
· Decarbonisation of transport
· Barriers facing small home building firms
Work Completed by the Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee