Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee
- The Committee last met on Tuesday 30 June. The meeting can be viewed on Senedd.tv.
- The Committee was scheduled to finish taking evidence on the Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill in April, and was required to publish its report in May. On 1 April 2020, the First Minister issued a statement on the Welsh Government’s approach to legislation in light of COVID-19, in which he said that this Bill was not one of his current priorities and that the legislative programme remains under continual review. As a result the Committee will not be reporting to the original deadline of 22 May 2020 and any further updates will be published on the webpage.
- On 29 April 2020, the Committee launched a consultation on the impact of COVID-19.
- On 8 April 2020, a factsheet was published that contains information on how committee business has been affected by COVID-19.
- The Committee published its report (PDF, 2MB) on the Local Government and Elections (Wales) Bill on Friday 13 March 2020. The Welsh Government responded to the report (PDF, 416KB) on 23 March 2020. A debate on the report will be held in Plenary on Tuesday 24 March 2020.
Follow us on Twitter: @SeneddELGC
The Committee was established on 28 June 2016 to examine legislation and hold the Welsh Government to account by scrutinising expenditure, administration and policy matters encompassing (but not restricted to): local government; housing, community regeneration, cohesion and safety; tackling poverty; equality of opportunity and human rights. On 13 November 2019, the Committee’s remit was amended to include the ability to: exercise the non-budgetary functions set out in Standing Order 18A.2 in relation to accountability and governance of the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.
Forward Work programme
- The Forward Work Programme of the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee sets out the work that the Committee intends to carry out over the course of the following term.
Work completed by the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee
Clerk: Naomi Stocks.
Phone: 0300 200 6565