Exchanging Ideas Seminar Series
Senedd Research worked with the Learned Society of Wales to pilot a series of Exchanging Ideas seminars for Members throughout 2017.
The purpose of the seminars was for Members to exchange and discuss new ideas with leading academic experts and interested stakeholders.
The theme for the first three seminars was about how ambitious Welsh policy should be.
The first seminar on 7 March 2017 looked at economic strategy, finance and infrastructure. The speakers were:
- Professor Gerry Holtham (Cardiff Metropolitan University);
- Professor Julie Froud (Manchester University); and
- Dr Edward Jones (Bangor University).
The second seminar on 27 June 2017 considered the key features of civil society in Wales and the role it plays. The speakers were:
- Professor Paul Chaney (WISERD);
- Dr Victoria Winckler (Director of Bevan Foundation);
- Tim Hughes (Director of Involve); and
- and Anna Nicholl (WCVA).
The third seminar on 13 July 2017 discussed future energy policy. The outcomes of this seminar, including a video recording of the entire event are available from an In Brief blog post. The speakers were:
- Dr Nina Skorupska (Renewable Energy Association);
- Professor Max Munday (Cardiff University);
- Professor Hywel Thomas (Cardiff University); and
- Professor Andrew Barron (Swansea University).
The fourth seminar on 5 December 2017 looked at challenges and opportunities arising from the delivery of healthcare services in rural Wales. For more information see this In Brief blog post or watch the video recording of the full event. The speakers were:
- John Wynn-Jones, GP (World Organisation of Rural Doctors and Chair for Rural Practice);
- Dr Rachel Rahman (Centre for Excellence in rural Health Research, Aberystwyth University);
- Anna L Prytherch (Rural Health and Care Wales Project Manager); and
- Joy Garfitt (Assistant Director for Mental Health Service, Powys Health Board).
Senedd Research is not planning any more Exchanging Ideas Seminars at the moment but may do so again in the future.