Welcome to the Senedd’s new website. If you have any difficulty using this site please get in touch.
Latest Committee Activity
On 12 November 2020 the Chairs of the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee, Finance Committee and External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee wrote to UK Parliament Committees in relation to the UK Internal Market Bill.
In accordance with Standing Order 19, the Finance Committee must consider and report on any document laid before the Senedd by Welsh Ministers or the Senedd Commission containing proposals for the use of resources.
The Committee may also consider and report on any other matter relating to or affecting expenditure out of the Welsh Consolidated Fund.
As part its responsibilities, the committee scrutinises the following as part of the annual budget cycle:
- Welsh Government budget;
- Senedd Commission budget;
- Audit Wales and the Auditor General for Wales estimate of income and expenses; and
- Public Services Ombudsman for Wales estimate of income and expenses.
The Committee was established on 22 June 2016. The Committee’s remit, amended following a resolution in Plenary on 13 November 2019, is as follows:
- to carry out the functions of the responsible committee set out in Standing Orders 18.10, 18.11, 18A.2(iv) and (v), 19 and 20 of the Senedd;
- under Standing Orders 19 and 20, the committee’s responsibilities include considering any report or document laid before the Senedd concerning the use of resources, or expenditure from the Welsh Consolidated Fund, including undertaking budget scrutiny of the bodies directly funded from the Welsh Consolidated Fund;
- under Standing Orders 18.10 and 18.11, the committee’s responsibilities include oversight of the governance of the Wales Audit Office, as set out in the Public Audit (Wales) Act 2013;
- under Standing Order 18A.2(iv) and (v), to exercise budgetary functions in relation to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales;
- the committee also considers any proposals for, and the progress of the devolution of fiscal powers to Wales as part of its responsibilities;
- the committee may also scrutinise legislation introduced to the Senedd.