Committee inquiry into Local Safeguarding Children Boards
25 February 2010
The Health, Wellbeing and Local Government Committee of the National Assembly for Wales will be examining the effectiveness of Local Safeguarding Children Boards (LSCBs) in a new inquiry.
LSCBs were first established in 2006 to ensure relevant organisations in each local authority co-operate to safeguard and promote children’s welfare.
Chair of the Committee Darren Millar AM said: “LSCBs have complex and important roles in protecting children in Wales.
“The Committee will examine the performance of these boards throughout Wales paying particular attention to effectiveness and consistency.
“We would like to hear from anyone with experience of these boards whether positive or negative.”
During its inquiry the Committee will examine the following issues:
– Appropriateness of existing Welsh Government Policy and Guidance as relevant to LSCBs;
– Appropriateness of the scope and focus of LSCB responsibilities;
– Membership of LSCBs with reference to both the role of statutory partners and also the voluntary sector and smaller / specialist organisations;
– Arrangements for funding LSCBs;
– The relationship of LSCBs to other local partnerships, including Children and Young People's Partnerships; Community Safety Partnerships; Local Service Boards; the planned Integrated Family Support Teams.
– The effectiveness of LSCBs in promoting the protection and welfare of specific groups of vulnerable children such as children with disabilities, asylum seeker and trafficked children, black and minority ethnic children;
– The effectiveness of LSCBs in their specific role with regard to promoting the information sharing responsibilities and duties of LSCB partner agencies;
– The effectiveness of LSCBs in involving children and young people in their work.
Anyone wishing to submit evidence to the inquiry can either email the Clerk of the Committee: email@example.com, or by post: Clerk, Health, Wellbeing and Local Government Committee, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff, CF99 1NA.