If you’ve registered to vote in the Senedd Election on 6 May, you might be wondering what happens next. With 16 and 17 year olds being able to vote for the first time in Wales, there will be a lot of first-timers heading to the polling station, and plenty of others who could use a refresher about how it all works.
Make sure you’re prepared to use your voice on 6 May 2021 with our brief guide on how to vote in person.
Voting in person in the Senedd Election
Voting in person is one of the simplest ways to cast your vote. If you’re on the electoral register, you’ll receive a polling card in the post. This will give you details of where your local polling station is.
You can go to a polling station on the day of a Senedd election to cast your vote. Polling stations are set up for the day in local buildings such as school or community halls across Wales.
On election day, polling stations open from 07.00 until 22.00 to make sure as many people as possible can use their vote.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there are a few things for you to consider when voting in person.
- Polling stations are a safe place to vote, with measures in place to help you stay safe.
- You may have to queue at a safe distance to enter the polling station if there are a number of other voters present at the same time.
- Hand sanitiser will be available and should be used when you enter and exit the polling station.
- You should also ensure that you wear a face covering at all times (unless you are exempt, of course)
- There will be markings on the floor to show you were to go, and to help maintain social distancing.
- It’s recommended that you take your own pen and pencil to the polling station with you, although clean pencils will also be available.
- The station will be cleaned regularly to ensure it is safe for voters.
Remember that there are staff present at the polling station to assist you if needed.
The Electoral Commission have put together the following video to help you learn more about what to expect at your local polling station on 6 May.
Further information about voting, including other ways to vote, is available on the Electoral Commission website.
To find out more about the Senedd Election and why your voice matters, visit senedd.wales/election.