Please note that the Senedd Commission has agreed that, due to the risks from COVID-19, all of the Senedd Estate will remain closed to the public until after the election in May 2021 at the earliest. Any in-person opportunities described on this page may not all be available at present but we hope to be able to run them again shortly. Our online opportunities continue to be available.
Visit Siambr Hywel, the Senedd’s dedicated youth debating chamber, to learn about the role of a Member of the Senedd, and what happens inside the Senedd. We accept schools, colleges and youth groups from year 4 upwards. It's never too late to learn about our democracy. The Senedd offers two education visits Tuesday through Thursday during these time slots:
10.00 – 12.00
12.50 – 14.30
Visits are in 3 elements:
- Welcome and introduction along with a workshop activity
- Debate in Siambr Hywel or a school council meeting
- A look at the Senedd itself
The visit is a powerful and flexible resource for your school. We can include a range of age groups as we take a flexible approach to how we shape the sessions - you tell us what you'd like to learn! For example, we've done sessions on voting, sustainability and a day in the life of an AM. And on that note, tickets to watch Plenary are available if required (usually only on Tuesday and Wednesday).
To find out more contact our team on email@example.com or call 0300 200 6565.
Additional learning needs
These fun and interactive activities will inspire the learners to play the role of a Member of the Senedd. See more info here.
School Council visit
A special visit for School Councils which includes the opportunity to hold a School Council meeting in Siambr Hywel, an activity and a visit to the Senedd. Tickets to watch Plenary on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are available if required. This is available for primary and secondary schools.
Government and Politics AS
We can tailor a half day programme to suit the needs of each group. These programmes can include booking tickets for Plenary and Committee meetings including arranging guest speakers.
We offer our general educational visits programme for welsh baccalaureate groups at all levels. Schools and colleges can also hire Siambr Hywel to organise their own Global Challenges Conference. Learners will investigate an issue, consider different arguments and communicate their own personal viewpoint by organising a conference debate in Siambr Hywel, the Senedd’s youth debating chamber.
- Your local Members of the Senedd will be invited to meet with you during your visit but, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee they will be able to attend.
- Apart from School Council visits, groups should be from one key stage only.
- We welcome all schools and other youth groups.
- All visits start in Tŷ Hywel, Cardiff Bay.
- Before you visit please fill in our risk assessment form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A lunch area is available for any visit (need to book in advance).
- You can arrange for an Education Officer to visit you before or after your visit.
- A subsidy towards travel costs to the Senedd is available for eligible schools.
- To book a visit email email@example.com or call 0300 200 6565.