The following is a proposal for a Member Bill tabled during the Sixth Senedd:
Title of the proposed Bill:
Mental Health First Aid (Wales) Bill
Policy Objectives of the proposed Bill:
The purpose of the Bill would be to increase the amount of mental health first aiders across Wales.
The Bill would also aim to:
- Ensure that Mental Health First Aid is made mandatory (in law) in all recognised First Aid Courses.
- Aid and support businesses in Wales to have a designated mental health first aid trained employee.
- Place a duty on Ministers to work with Local Authorities, community and religious groups, and other stakeholders, to ensure every community has access to mental health first aiders, and training.
- Ensure that there is a mandatory requirement for all schools to have mental health first aid ambassadors, both among the staff and pupil cohort.
- Incorporate mental health first aid training into teacher and school staff training.