English and Welsh are official languages of the Senedd, and the Senedd Commission gives strong and ambitious leadership through its delivery of bilingual services.
The Official Languages Scheme for the Fifth Assembly was formally adopted by the Assembly on 12 July 2017.
- The Official Languages Scheme (pdf 2MB)
As well as outlining the service standards that we already deliver, the Scheme highlights five themes that we will be focusing on, namely:
- language skills;
- language planning;
- Senedd proceedings;
- developing the bilingual ethos of the organisation.
An annual report is published that outlines the ways in which the Assembly has realised its aspirations under the Scheme. It also notes any breaches of the Scheme. The report is submitted before the Senedd and is the subject of a Plenary debate.
Official Languages Scheme: Annual report 2017-18 (pdf: 2.1MB)
Previous Official Languages Scheme
The Official Languages Scheme for the Fourth Assembly was formally adopted by the Assembly in July 2013 and was based on the National Assembly for Wales (Official Languages) Act 2012.
The Official Languages Scheme for the Fourth Assembly (pdf: 2.13MB)
Annual reports during the Fourth Assembly
These are the annual reports on the Official Languages Scheme during the Fourth Assembly.
- Official Languages Scheme-annual compliance report 2014 (pdf: 3.02MB)
- Official Languages Scheme annual compliance report 2015 (pdf: 5.75MB)
- Official Languages Scheme annual compliance report 2016 (pdf: 2MB)
- Official Languages Scheme annual compliance rpeort 2017 (pdf: 2.1MB)
Bilingual Skills Strategy
In April 2015, we published our Bilingual Skills Strategy. The strategy outlines what the Commission will do in order to provide outstanding parliamentary support in both official languages. It notes four areas for action: raising awareness; existing skill levels; language skills for delivering bilingual services; and learning Welsh or improving Welsh language skills.
- Bilingual Skills Strategy 2015 (pdf: 985KB)
Memorandum of Understanding between the Senedd Commission and the Welsh Language Commissioner
- Memorandum of Understanding (pdf: 1.99MB)