It operates under the guidance and direction of the Presiding Officer and four other Members of the Senedd, representative of other political parties. Day-to-day operations are delegated to the Clerk and Chief Executive of the Senedd.
This involves a broad range of activities including:
- Providing Members with the accommodation, facilities, equipment and information they need to do their jobs;
- Supporting Senedd Committees and Plenary by providing procedural, legal and other advice;
- Providing translation, interpretation and reporting services which ensure that the Senedd can operate in English and Welsh;
- Providing information and education about the Senedd to the public; and
- Providing the public with information and education about the parliamentary role of the Senedd and by arranging visits to and from the Senedd.
Senedd staff are not civil servants. They are independent of the Government and act impartially on behalf of the Senedd.